A dog was rescued from a house after a fire started in the kitchen and caused over $150,000 in damage in the 25000 block of Route 120 in Round Lake Tuesday morning. | Photo: Joe Shuman/J. Shuman Photography (2023)

An off-duty Buffalo Grove firefighter driving by rescued a dog from a house that caught on fire in Round Lake Tuesday morning, fire officials said.

The Fox Lake Fire Protection District responded at 10:45 a.m. Tuesday to the 25000 block of Route 120 in Round Lake for a report of a structure fire.

Fox Lake Battalion Fire Chief Larry VanHoorelbeke told Lake and McHenry County Scanner that an off-duty Buffalo Grove firefighter was driving by when he spotted the fire and called 911.

The off-duty firefighter rescued a dog from the two-story balloon-frame house before the fire department arrived.

No one else was inside the house at the time, VanHoorelbeke said. The home is just east of Wilson Road on Route 120.

A dog was rescued from a house after a fire started in the kitchen and caused over $150,000 in damage in the 25000 block of Route 120 in Round Lake Tuesday morning. | Photo: Joe Shuman/J. Shuman Photography (2023)

Firefighters arrived and found smoke and flames coming from the house.

Initial crews made an aggressive interior fire attack and brought the fire under control within 15 minutes, VanHoorelbeke said.

[Suggested Article]  12 years in prison for man who opened fire at car with family in it, later beat another man with bat in McHenry County

There were no injuries and the dog was released to the owner.

The fire originally started in the kitchen, VanHoorelbeke added.

Damage is estimated at over $150,000 and the house is uninhabitable.

The fire remains under investigation by the Fox Lake Fire Protection District.