Firefighters respond to a fire in a room at the Rodeway Inn, 630 North Green Bay Road in Waukegan, Thursday afternoon. | Photo Submitted to Lake and McHenry County Scanner

Guests at a hotel in Waukegan were evacuated after a fire started inside the building and was quickly extinguished by firefighters Thursday afternoon.

The Waukegan Fire Department and Waukegan Police Department responded around 1 p.m. Thursday to the Rodeway Inn, 630 North Green Bay Road in Waukegan.

Waukegan Fire Marshal Todd Zupec said crews initially responded to a report of a fire alarm that had been activated in the hotel.

Dispatchers reported that a 911 caller reported there was heavy smoke inside.

The incident was upgraded to bring additional fire department personnel to the scene.

The Gurnee Fire Department also responded to assist.

Firefighters located a small fire and extinguished it, Zupec said.

The fire was contained to one unit of the hotel and no injuries were reported.

The rest of the guests staying at the hotel were allowed to return to their rooms, Zupec said.

[Suggested Article]  Resident injured, transported to hospital after fire leaves house uninhabitable near Vernon Hills

Police shut down traffic on Green Bay Road during the incident.

Zupec said the fire started in the trash receptacle and the cause is accidental.