Police hold two students at gunpoint and take them into custody at Washington Avenue and Green Bay Road in Highwood Tuesday following a report of an armed student at Highland Park High School. | Photo Submitted to Lake and McHenry County Scanner

Police have arrested two students and a lockdown remains in place while a SWAT team clears Highland Park High School after a student brought a gun to school.

Highland Park Superintendent of Schools Bruce Law sent a message to parents Tuesday morning.

Law said that District 113 received an anonymous tip reporting a rumor of a student in possession of a gun.

Highland Park High School reported the tip to law enforcement after receiving it.

The school began investigating the tip when another student came forward to report seeing a student with a gun, Law said.

The Highland Park Police Department was already on the scene and advised school officials to go into lockdown.

The student alleged to have a gun was identified, Law said.

Security footage showed that he and another student had left the building.

Law enforcement conducted a sweep of the building while other police officers searched for the two students who had left the school.

[Suggested Article]  Man charged with speeding, causing fiery rollover crash that killed 24-year-old Libertyville woman in Waukegan
File Photo – Highland Park High School | Photo: Google Street View

Both students were arrested by police officers on the corner of Washington Avenue and Green Bay Road in Highwood, a source told Lake and McHenry County Scanner.

Police are keeping the high school on lockdown as authorities continue their investigation, Law said.

The Northern Illinois Police Alarm System (NIPAS) Emergency Services Team was dispatched to the school to assist in clearing the building.

City officials said there were no reported shots fired and an update would be provided once the school has been cleared.

It is unknown yet whether the gun involved is a replica or a real gun.

Students and school staff should remain in place to facilitate the work of law enforcement to secure the building, the city said.

The incident occurred the same morning students had planned to walk out of school to protest for gun control.

[Suggested Article]  'Unbelievable and grotesque': City of Highland Park faces backlash over 'poverty simulation' event

The walkout was planned for 10:14 a.m., which is when shots first rang out at the Fourth of July parade shooting in Highland Park last year,

ABC7 Chicago reported the Highland Park students were demanding a ban on “assault weapons.”

School walkouts and protests in Nashville took place Monday morning, local news outlets reported.

Monday marked one week after a gunman walked into a private school in Nashville and shot multiple students and staff members.

Three staff members and three children died in the shooting. The shooter was fatally shot by police.