An Algonquin man who was accused of making a shooting threat toward a music festival last year has been sentenced to probation for attacking and injuring his elderly mother.
Daniel O. Susma, 29, of Algonquin, was charged in July with three counts of aggravated battery of a senior citizen, aggravated domestic battery, three counts of domestic battery and interfering with the reporting of domestic violence.
A criminal complaint said that Susma on July 11 hit his mother, who was 71 years old at the time, in the face, arms and back, causing red markings and abrasions.
He also allegedly used his hands and applied pressure around the woman’s nose and mouth, impeding her breathing, the complaint said.
Susma scratched the arms of his mother and repeatedly pushed and hit her in the back, the complaint said.
He also allegedly hit the woman in the face repeatedly with his hands, causing red swollen abrasions on her face, according to the complaint.
McHenry County Assistant State’s Attorney Jim Newman said after Susma’s arrest that new information was uncovered and the state was seeking to increase his bond.
Susma on July 6 allegedly posted on Instagram and Facebook that there was “going to be a shooting at NORTH COAST MUSIC FEST,” according to Newman.
Organizers of the Lollapalooza music festival contacted the police about the posts because Susma had been a volunteer for Lollapalooza for the past nine years.
Susma noted on social media that he also has been a volunteer at the North Coast Music Festival.
Police questioned Susma about the posts on July 8 and he alternated between providing responsive answers to “offering random disorganized statements,” Newman said.
Susma then indicated to the officers that he “wants to see a shooting so he could film it” but that he “does not want to shoot anyone.”
The day before police spoke to him about the posts, officers were called to the LifeTime Fitness in Algonquin after Susma allegedly made threats to patrons and had to be escorted out, Newman said.
Thomas W. Pentz, known by his stage name Diplo, filed a petition for a stalking no-contact order against Susma in McHenry County Circuit Court on July 18.
Citing Susma’s social media posts, which reference Diplo multiple times, Pentz said he had suffered “emotional distress, mental suffering, anxiety and alarm.”
“I have never met the Respondent and do not know why he is posting about me on social media, much less making threats towards me and the Music Festival I am scheduled to perform at,” Pentz said in the petition.
Pentz said he was fearful for his safety and for the safety of those around him.
Chris Den Uijl, who is a partner of North Coast Music Festival, said in court documents that “hundreds of people” who were scheduled to attend the September festival have expressed reluctance to attend following the threats.
A judge granted the orders of protection and also ordered Susma to not post any harassing or threatening writing on social media or any public forum about Pentz or the festival.
In August, Susma was found unfit to stand trial. His fitness was found to be restored months later, court documents show.
Court records show Susma entered into a negotiated plea deal with the McHenry County State’s Attorney’s Office on March 22 for the domestic battery case.
He pleaded guilty to one count of aggravated battery on a senior citizen, a Class 3 felony, in exchange for the rest of his charges being dismissed.
As part of the deal, Susma was sentenced by McHenry County Judge James Cowlin to two years of probation and comply with any drug or mental health treatment recommendations.
Susma was accepted into the drug court program and will be subject to random drug screenings as part of his sentencing conditions.
A 180-day sentence in the McHenry County Jail will not be imposed as long as Susma complies with his probation, sentencing documents show.