Christopher Huley, 37, of North Chicago.

A North Chicago man has been charged with driving under the influence and rear-ending a vehicle, killing a 66-year-old man and injuring a woman in Gurnee.

Christopher Huley, 37, of North Chicago, was charged with three counts of aggravated driving under the influence causing death and three counts of reckless homicide.

The charges stem from a vehicle crash that occurred around 5:40 a.m. on July 9 at Stearns School Road and Dilleys Road in Gurnee.

Officers arrived and found a 2017 Cadillac XTS and a 2013 Mazda CX5 with extensive damage, Gurnee Police Department Public Information Officer Shawn Gaylor said at the time.

The Mazda was driven by Robert Wiedmann, 66, of Crossville, Tennessee, and a 64-year-old woman, also from Crossville, Tennessee, was in the passenger seat.

A preliminary investigation showed the Mazda was traveling eastbound on Stearns School Road.

[Suggested Article]  10 years in prison for McHenry man who sexually assaulted woman, injured her during attack

The Cadillac, driven by Huley, rear-ended the Mazda, Gaylor said and court records show.

Paramedics transported Wiedmann to Advocate Condell Medical Center in Libertyville where he died.

The 64-year-old passenger sustained non-life-threatening injuries and was also transported to Advocate Condell Medical Center, Gaylor said.

Huley sustained serious but non-life-threatening injuries.

The Lake County Major Crash Assistance Team (MCAT) was requested to assist in the crash investigation, Gaylor said.

The intersection was closed for around four hours while investigators worked at the scene.

An obituary for Wiedmann said he was a “wonderful husband” and an “exceptionally proud and amazing father” to two children.

“Bob was a great and passionate golfer, loved bowling and fishing out on his lake. Bob had the gift of gab and could light up an entire room with his HUGE presence, he always made sure he was known by all,” the obituary said.

[Suggested Article]  2 suspects armed with guns arrested after shot fired during home invasion in Gurnee prompts school lockdowns

Charges were filed against Huley at the end of January and a warrant was issued for his arrest. A grand jury indicted him in March.

Huley was taken into custody on May 2 after voluntarily surrendering, court records show.

Huley, who has pleaded not guilty to his charges, remains held in the Lake County Jail on a $250,000 bond.

He is scheduled to appear in court again on June 20 for a case management conference.