Firefighters extinguish a fire that caused extensive damage to a house in the 1200 block of North Fairfield Road in Round Lake Beach early Saturday morning. | Photos: Lupe Corte

A family was displaced from their home after a fire, which was possibly caused by people setting off fireworks, left their residence extensively damaged in Round Lake Beach Saturday.

The Greater Round Lake Fire Protection District responded around 2:01 a.m. Saturday to the 1200 block of North Fairfield Road in Round Lake Beach for a report of a structure fire.

Firefighters arrived around six minutes later to find a single-family residence with heavy smoke and flames coming from the rear of the structure, according to Greater Round Lake Fire Protection District Battalion Chief Eric Hair.

Firefighters were able to quickly control the fire and it was declared under control in 12 minutes.

Fire crews worked for an additional 30 minutes locating and extinguishing hot spots, Hair said.

The family escaped the residence after being alerted to the fire by their working smoke detectors.

[Suggested Article]  Kristof's Entertainment celebrating 50 years in Round Lake Beach Saturday

Hair said none of the occupants were injured in the fire but the residence sustained extensive damage and has been deemed uninhabitable.

The fire appears to have started on the exterior of the structure and remains under investigation, Hair said.

The Greater Round Lake Fire Protection District was assisted at the scene by the Fox Lake, Grayslake, Wauconda and Lake Villa fire departments.

Antioch and McHenry firefighters covered calls in the Round Lake area during the fire.

Lupe Corte, who lives at the home with his three young children, said his residence burned down due to people lighting fireworks off. His family lost everything in the fire.

Hair said he recommends all area residents ensure that they have working smoke detectors.