Robert E. Crimo Jr. (center) and attorney Elanna Myerson (right) listen to attorney George Gomez during an appearance before Judge George D. Strickland at the Lake County courthouse on June 16, 2023, in Waukegan. | Photo: Nam Y. Huh (AP / Pool)

A judge has denied a request to dismiss the charges against the father of the Highland Park parade shooter and granted a request for his trial to be livestreamed by the media.

The Lake County State’s Attorney’s Office charged Robert Crimo Jr., 58, of Highwood, in mid-December with seven counts of reckless conduct causing great bodily harm.

Crimo Jr. appeared in court Monday morning for a hearing on pending motions, which lasted over an hour.

His attorney, George Gomez, filed motions challenging the constitutionality of Illinois’ law on reckless conduct and asking the case be dismissed.

Gomez extensively argued the motions in court earlier this month. He said that Crimo Jr.’s signing of the affidavit to sponsor his son’s gun permit was truthful and did not break the law.

Gomez said that several Constitutional amendments protect the father’s actions.

Crimo Jr.’s attorney also argued that the state’s reckless conduct law is overbroad and vague.

The Deputy Chief of Criminal Appeals at the Office of the Illinois Attorney general Garson Fischer (left), Lake County State’s Attorney Eric Rinehart (center) and Assistant State’s Attorney Jeffrey Facklam (right) listen to Judge George D. Strickland during a hearing at the Lake County Courthouse in Waukegan on August 8, 2023. | Photo: Nam Y. Huh (AP / Pool)

Lake County Judge George Strickland denied the motions after saying he has considered case law, statutes and consulted with the court’s staff attorney.

[Suggested Article]  Police identify man who allegedly fatally shot his 2 brothers and then set house on fire in Highland Park

Strickland ruled that the state law on reckless conduct is not overbroad as argued by Gomez.

The judge said prosecutors will have to prove Crimo Jr.’s act of signing the FOID card application was a reckless act as defined by state law and that it was the proximate cause of the parade victims’ injuries.

Strickland also rejected Gomez’s argument that the statute of limitations expired in the case.

During the Monday hearing, the judge granted an extended media request that will allow one news media camera to livestream the trial. One still photo camera will also be allowed.

Gomez said Crimo Jr.’s wife will be objecting to being recorded during the trial.

Gomez also revealed Monday that the alleged parade shooter, Crimo III, is on the witness list and could be called to testify at his father’s trial.

Judge George D. Strickland speaks during a hearing at the Lake County Courthouse in Waukegan on August 8, 2023. | Photo: Nam Y. Huh (AP / Pool)

Lake County Assistant State’s Attorney Jeffrey Facklam previously said a bench trial could take approximately a week.

[Suggested Article]  Judge denies pre-trial release for man accused killing his 2 brothers before setting house on fire in Highland Park

The trial is currently scheduled to begin on November 6. Prosecutors and Crimo Jr.’s defense team had previously sought a later trial date into next year.

In February, a grand jury returned an indictment formally charging Crimo Jr. with the seven counts of reckless conduct causing great bodily harm, a Class 4 felony.

“Parents who help their kids get weapons of war are morally and legally responsible when those kids hurt others with those weapons,” Lake County State’s Attorney Eric Rinehart said following the indictment.

“We presented our evidence to a grand jury and they agreed the case should move forward. We will continue to seek justice for the victims and prosecute those who endanger the community,” Rinehart said.

Crimo Jr. is the father of 22-year-old Robert E. Crimo III, who currently faces 21 counts of first-degree murder, 48 counts of attempted murder and 48 counts of aggravated battery with a firearm.

[Suggested Article]  Lindenhurst man ordered detained in Lake County jail following threats to "shoot up" Condell Medical Center in Libertyville
Robert Crimo Jr., 58, of Highwood (left) and Robert E. Crimo III, 22, of Highwood (right).

Prosecutors and Highland Park police officers allege that Crimo Jr. was criminally reckless at the time that he helped his son obtain a Firearm Owners Identification (FOID) card.

Prosecutors said that helping his son obtain a FOID card was a contributing cause to the harm suffered by the murder victims in the July 4 mass shooting in Highland Park.

The man’s son, Crimo III, was under 21 when he sought to obtain the FOID card and required his father’s participation in the application process.

Rinehart said during a December press conference that parents are in the “best position” to decide whether their teenager should have a weapon.

“They are the first line of defense. In this case, that system failed when Robert Crimo Jr. sponsored his son,” Rinehart said.

“He knew what he knew, and he signed the form anyway. This was criminally reckless and a contributing cause to the bodily harm suffered by the victims on July 4,” Rinehart said.