Jorge Medina, 20, of Waukegan, (inset) was charged in connection with the first-degree murder of Stefan Filipovic, 24, of Waukegan, who was shot next to Poppy’s, 1535 Washington Street in Waukegan, on May 29, 2022. | Background Photo: Craig / Captured News – Inset Photo: Provided

A man faces up to life in prison after a jury on Thursday convicted him of shooting two men in the head, killing one, at Poppy’s restaurant in Waukegan last year.

Jorge Medina, 18, of Waukegan, was charged in June 2022 with first-degree murder, attempted first-degree murder and aggravated battery with a firearm.

A second man, Fernando Andino, 20, of Waukegan, was charged with first-degree murder, aggravated battery with a firearm and aggravated fleeing and eluding.

Lake County Assistant State’s Attorney Dino Katris said during an initial court hearing for Medina that the Waukegan Police Department responded around 4:51 p.m. on May 29, 2022, to Poppy’s, 1535 Washington Street in Waukegan, for a report of a person shot.

Officers found two men with gunshot wounds to their heads on the sidewalk near the parking lot of the business off of Washington Park.

The business was open at the time and customers were present.

Stefan Filipovic, 24, of Waukegan, died in the shooting while a second victim, a 28-year-old Waukegan man, was rushed to the hospital and survived.

Investigators obtained surveillance videos that captured the shooting.

Katris said the video showed a male wearing a black hoodie, gray sweatpants and a black face mask walking northbound on Washington Park towards Washington Street.

Filipovic and the second victim were both standing on the sidewalk area speaking with a witness in a car that was parked on Washington Park on the side of the business.

The shooter, determined to be Medina, approached the victims and took a shooting stance in the parking lot of Poppy’s.

[Suggested Article]  Man seriously injured after being thrown 20 feet from motorcycle during crash on Interstate 94 near Libertyville

Medina, who was about 10 feet away from the victims, fired multiple shots at the two victims, Katris said.

Filipovic and the second victim immediately dropped to the ground after both being shot in the head.

Police investigate a shooting near Washington Street and Washington Park in Waukegan that left one person dead and another injured on May 29, 2022. | Photo: Craig / Captured News

Several 9mm shell casings were recovered from the parking lot.

In the moments before the shooting, surveillance video showed Medina exiting the front passenger seat of a vehicle approximately a block away from the shooting and walking in the direction of the victims, Katris said.

The vehicle drove northbound on Washington Park and stopped at the intersection of Washington Park and Washington Street.

The vehicle, a BMW 325 that was registered to Andino, drove around the block and picked up Medina, who had turned around and ran south on Washington Park.

Officers spotted the BMW around 7:30 p.m. that day and attempted to conduct a traffic stop on it.

The vehicle did not stop and officers pursued it for several minutes.

The BMW disregarded multiple red lights and stop signs and drove at speeds of over 100 mph, Katris said.

The BMW’s tire blew out at one point and the vehicle came to a stop at Sheridan Road and Franklin Street.

Andino, who was the driver and sole occupant, was taken into custody.

Investigators searched his phone and recovered text messages regarding the shooting.

Katris said that Andino told investigators that he saw Filipovic at Poppy’s and believed Filipovic was involved in the unsolved shooting case of his friend from 2021.

[Suggested Article]  Coroner releases identity of 66-year-old man fatally struck by vehicle in Waukegan

The mother of Filipovic told Lake and McHenry County Scanner that her son was not a gang member and the suspects mistook him for the wrong person.

Andino texted his friend asking about Filipovic and then texted that he was going to get Medina.

Police arrest a person of interest in connection to a homicide following a police chase that ended near Sheridan Road and Franklin Street in Waukegan on May 29, 2022. | Photo: Craig / Captured News

Andino claimed to be scared because he did not have a gun so he went to pick up Medina at his house, Katris said.

Surveillance video showed a man being picked up at Medina’s residence minutes before the shooting.

Video was used to track the vehicle and its two occupants from Medina’s residence to the block where the shooter was dropped.

Andino said that while in the car, Medina changed into a black hoodie and gray sweatpants and was armed with a gun, Katris said.

Andino told investigators he dropped Medina at a street corner a block from the shooting and stopped his car at the intersection of Washington Park and Washington Street, next to Poppy’s.

Katris said that Andino heard and saw the shooting and then drove around to pick up Medina.

Medina got into the vehicle and told Andino he “dropped both of them.”

Katris said that Andino texted his friend again, this time saying he saw the dude “get hit” and “seen them drop.” Andino then dropped Medina off at his house.

A jury trial for Medina began on Monday and lasted four days, ending late Thursday evening. Andino testified against his co-defendant during the trial.

[Suggested Article]  Coroner unable to locate, notify relatives of 66-year-old man fatally struck by vehicle in Waukegan

Forensic experts explained during the trial about firearm residue found on a piece of clothing recovered from Medina’s residence that matched the description of the gunman.

The jury convicted Medina on one count of first-degree murder and one count of attempted murder.

After the verdict, Lake County State’s Attorney Eric Rinehart said the trial team consisting of assistant state’s attorneys Lauren Kalcheim Rothenberg, Scott Hoffert and Ayah Elfarra, along with state’s attorney investigators and victim specialists, did “fantastic work to bring justice for the victims and their families.”

Rinehart called the shooting a “calculated attack” that warrants a very high prison sentence.

“This type of calculated attack warrants a very high prison sentence in order to protect the community and to tell others when you engage in violence, you will face arrest and severe consequences,” Rinehart said, adding that the Waukegan Police Department conducted a thorough and effective investigation in the case.

Medina has been held in the Lake County Jail without bond since his arrest.

He faces a minimum of 45 years in prison and a maximum of life in the Illinois Department of Corrections.

Andino also remains held in the jail and recently pleaded guilty to aggravated battery with a firearm. He faces up to 30 years in prison.

A sentencing hearing for Andino is scheduled for September 11. A sentencing hearing date for Medina was not immediately known.