Brandon M. Brown, 29, of Cary, (inset) was charged in connection to an attack that occurred in the 300 block of Teckler Boulevard in Crystal Lake on December 6, 2022, and left two victims with multiple injuries. | Background Photo: Google Street View

A judge rejected a man’s request to be released under the SAFE-T Act after being charged with attacking two victims with a skateboard in Crystal Lake, leaving them seriously injured.

Brandon M. Brown, 29, of Cary, was charged with two counts of aggravated battery causing great bodily harm, two counts of aggravated battery using a deadly weapon, two counts of aggravated domestic battery and one count of obstructing identification.

Brown has been held in the McHenry County Jail since his arrest in December, jail records show.

The charges against Brown stem from an incident that occurred around 11:18 p.m. on December 6 in the 300 block of Teckler Boulevard in Crystal Lake, which is behind the Jewel-Osco store.

Crystal Lake Deputy Police Chief Rick Neumann said at the time that officers received a call for a report of two people who had been battered by an offender that they knew.

[Suggested Article]  Judge denies pre-trial release for Wauconda High School student accused of slashing, seriously injuring man's face

An investigation showed that the suspect used a skateboard to strike the two victims multiple times in their heads during the attack, Neumann said.

A criminal complaint said the male victim suffered significant blood loss and numerous serious injuries.

He suffered facial lacerations that required stitches and staples and facial bone fractures that required surgery.

The female victim suffered blood loss and numerous injuries, including bruising and facial lacerations that required staples, the complaint said.

Both of the injured victims were transported to area hospitals and were later released, Neumann said.

Crystal Lake police and the McHenry County Sheriff’s Office located Brown in the 2000 block of Hillside Terrace in unincorporated Cary.

He was taken into custody and initially provided officers with a fake name and date of birth, the complaint said.

A judge ordered him held in the jail on a $50,000 bond, court records show.

[Suggested Article]  Probation for man who pleaded guilty to strangling 5-year-old child near Cary

Brown has remained held in custody since his arrest after not being able to post bond.

A public defender for Brown filed a motion for hearing for pre-trial release on October 6.

The defense attorney argued for Brown’s release under the Pretrial Fairness Act of the SAFE-T Act, which ended cash bail in Illinois last month.

Prosecutors then filed a petition to detain Brown without bond or possibility of release.

A hearing was held before McHenry County Judge James Cowlin on Thursday.

Cowlin denied Brown’s motion and granted the state’s attorney’s office’s petition to hold Brown pre-trial.

Court documents show Brown allegedly “violently attacked” the victims, who were sleeping at the time of the incident.

Brown also has a history of committing violent crimes, court records show.

A status of trial date is scheduled for October 25 and a jury trial is scheduled for January 2.

[Suggested Article]  'Always made everyone feel welcome': Community mourns death of Barrington High School student killed by train