A judge denied pre-trial release for one of two men who prosecutors say were found with two kilograms of fentanyl, one of the largest fentanyl busts in McHenry County history.
Joaquin R. Montano-Martinez, 29, of Mexico, and Patricio Rosales-Diaz, 43, of Palatine, are both charged with manufacturing or delivering fentanyl over 900 grams, a Class X felony, and possession of more than 200 grams of a controlled substance, a Class 1 felony.
McHenry County Assistant State’s Attorney Brian Miller said earlier this year that law enforcement stopped a truck being driven by Rosales-Diaz on February 24.
The truck was traveling westbound on Route 14 through Cary.
Montano-Martinez, who is a permanent Mexican resident, was a passenger in the truck.
The McHenry County Sheriff’s Office located approximately two kilograms, or 4.4 pounds, of fentanyl in the truck.
The wholesale price for a kilogram of fentanyl is approximately $25,000, Miller said.
Fentanyl, when broken down, sells for approximately $100 per gram in McHenry County, Miller said.
Bulk fentanyl is typically mixed with other substances to increase profits.
“Assuming the fentanyl was broken down and sold in its current form, its approximately street value would be $200,000,” Miller said in court documents.
Miller said the seized fentanyl could produce 20,000 doses if broken down and sold in its current form.
Two milligrams of fentanyl is considered a lethal dose, which is about 10 to 15 grains of table salt, according to the McHenry County State’s Attorney’s Office. “One kilogram alone has the potential to kill 500,000 people.”
Prosecutors said Rosales-Diaz was interviewed and admitted that he and Montano-Martinez were taking the drugs to a location in Crystal Lake to sell them.
The state’s attorney’s office said the bust is one of the largest fentanyl recoveries in the county’s history.
McHenry County Judge Jennifer Johnson set bond in February for Rosales-Diaz and Montano-Martinez at $1 million each.
McHenry County Judge Tiffany Davis reduced Montano-Martinez’s bond to $500,000 during a subsequent hearing and then later increased back to $1 million after a family member came forward wanting to post 10% of the $500,000 bond.
The family member’s funds were reviewed and determined to be from a legitimate source, court records show.
Montano-Martinez was released in early August after the family member posted the required $100,000 cash.
Rosales-Diaz has remained held in the McHenry County Jail since his arrest and has been unable to post bond.
He filed a petition this month for release after the SAFE-T Act’s cashless bail provision went into effect in Illinois in September.
Rosales-Diaz’s attorney Paul Augustyn argued his client is not a threat to community safety and does not pose a flight risk.
He also said Rosales-Diaz owns a local business and has ties to the community.
Prosecutors in response filed a petition to deny pre-trial release to Rosales-Diaz, calling him a danger to the community and a willful flight risk.
Davis denied Rosales-Diaz’s motion and granted the state’s attorney’s office’s request to hold him pending trial.
He will also no longer have the ability to post his original cash bond.