File Photo – Woodstock Fire/Rescue District | LMCS File Photo

A natural gas leak occurred Monday afternoon just houses away from where a gas leak-fueled explosion occurred earlier this month in Woodstock that damaged 20 buildings.

The Woodstock Fire/Rescue District and Woodstock Police Department responded around 1:20 p.m. Monday to the 300 block of Lincoln Avenue for a report of a natural gas odor.

Firefighters arrived on the scene within four minutes and met with several citizens, according to Woodstock Fire/Rescue District Communication Specialist Alex Vucha.

Firefighters were advised of a natural gas odor across from the parking lot at St. Mary’s Catholic Church.

A faint odor was noticeable but was difficult to pinpoint due to moderate winds, Vucha said.

Representatives from Nicor Gas had been notified prior to firefighters and arrived a short time later.

Vucha said Nicor Gas crews were able to quickly locate a small underground leak between the sidewalk and roadway.

[Suggested Article]  Man charged with attempting to kidnap woman after allegedly trying to forcing her into vehicle in North Chicago

Firefighters turned the scene over to Nicor Gas crews within 30 minutes due to no immediate hazards exhibited.

An ambulance was requested around 3:50 p.m. in the vicinity of the gas leak for a medical emergency.

One patient was transported to the hospital for reasons not related to the gas leak.

No evacuations or shelter-in-place orders were established, Vucha said.

The gas leak was isolated and repaired by Nicor Gas around 4:30 p.m. Lincoln Avenue remained open throughout the afternoon and evening.

St. Mary’s Catholic Church canceled all activities and closed the church grounds Monday.

The church and school have since been notified of the repair and are expected to resume normal operations Tuesday.

The incident occurred on the same block as the explosion and fire that occurred on October 9.

The explosion left 20 structures with varying degrees of damage in the area of Tryon Street and Lincoln Avenue.

[Suggested Article]  Woman charged with trying to buy brand new car using bad check in McHenry while on probation for theft

A contract crew working in the area had struck a two-inch gas main inside a sewer line.

Fire crews were standing by at the scene for Nicor to fix a gas leak when the explosion occurred and a fire broke out.

A two-story house in the 300 block of Lincoln Avenue was completely destroyed by the explosion and a second adjacent house sustained significant damage.

Two firefighters were transported to the hospital for non-life-threatening injuries, Vucha said. No fatalities were reported.

“With the events that occurred two weeks ago on Lincoln Avenue we understand smelling natural gas in your home or business can be concerning,” Vucha said Monday.

“If a strong smell of natural gas is present, evacuate, and call 9-1-1. Let first responders or gas company representatives locate the leak, never attempt this on your own,” Vucha added.

[Suggested Article]  Inmate pronounced dead after being found unresponsive in cell at McHenry County Jail

Residents are also encouraged to install carbon monoxide alarms in their homes.