Some homes were evacuated after landscaping crews struck a gas line and caused a natural gas leak in the yard of a residence in Cary Tuesday morning.
The Cary Fire Protection District and Cary Police Department responded around 10:30 a.m. Tuesday to the 300 block of Adam Court in Cary for a report of a gas leak in a residential area.
Firefighters arrived within minutes and confirmed a residential service line was leaking, according to Cary Fire Protection District Communication Specialist Alex Vucha.
The line had been struck by landscapers working in the front yard of a home.
Vucha said Nicor Gas was immediately contacted and arrived on the scene within 20 minutes.
Firefighters evacuated two homes directly adjacent to the leak for precautionary measures.
Firefighters remained on scene until the line had been repaired. No injuries were reported.
Nicor Gas crews repaired the line by 11:30 a.m. and residents returned to their homes shortly after.
“Whether you are planting, building, fixing, or adding anything outdoors, know what’s below you,” Vucha said.
“Damaging valuable utility lines beneath your property can cause interruptions in services and even worse,” he added.
Residents are encouraged to call 811 and visit JulieBeforeYouDig.com for more information before digging.
Earlier this month, a natural gas leak outdoors in Woodstock caused an explosion and fire that damaged 20 buildings.
The blast left two firefighters injured and 22 residents displaced.