File Photo | Photo: Winnebago County Sheriff

A Winnebago County sheriff’s deputy on his way to training was one of the bystanders who saved a critically injured woman after she became pinned between two cars during a crash in Gurnee last week.

The Gurnee Police Department responded around 7:45 a.m. on November 1 to Grand Avenue near Lawson Boulevard for a two-vehicle crash.

Gurnee Police Department Public Information Officer Shawn Gaylor said a 2008 Chrysler minivan and a 2019 BMW X3 were involved in a minor collision.

A 44-year-old Gurnee woman exited the BMW to inspect the damage before officers arrived, Gaylor said.

She was standing between the back end of the BMW and the front bumper of the Chrysler when a third vehicle, a 2009 Nissan sedan, collided with the back of the Chrysler.

Gaylor said the collision pinned the 44-year-old woman between two cars and left her with severe injuries.

[Suggested Article]  NWS releases path of EF-1 tornado in Mundelein that produced 110 mph winds, damaged apartment building

Bystanders stopped and rendered first aid after noticing the woman lying on the pavement.

One of the bystanders was Winnebago County Sheriff’s Deputy William Eichholtz, who was on his way to training, according to Cori Hilliard, a spokesperson for the Winnebago County Sheriff’s Office.

Eichholtz came upon the crash and applied tourniquets to both of the woman’s legs to control the bleeding, Hilliard said.

A nurse also assisted Eichholtz with aiding the woman.

Officers and paramedics arrived moments later to take over lifesaving measures, Gaylor said.

The 44-year-old woman was transported by the Gurnee Fire Department to Advocate Condell Medical Center in Libertyville in critical condition. No other injuries were reported.

Gaylor said investigators learned the first collision between the BMW and the Chrysler took place in the eastbound lanes of Grand Avenue at the Lawson Boulevard intersection.

[Suggested Article]  Animal shelter seeks public's help after puppy stolen from home's backyard near Antioch

The initial collision resulted in only minor damage to the vehicles involved.

Gaylor said the driver of the Nissan that caused the secondary crash “inadvertently” collided with the Chrysler after failing to recognize the Chrysler and BMW were stopped.

Eastbound Grand Avenue was closed for three hours while the Lake County Major Crash Assistance Team (MCAT) conducted a crash investigation.

The crash remains under investigation by the Gurnee Police Department and MCAT.