Fire officials said a family was able to safely evacuate from their Wonder Lake home, which did not have working smoke detectors, after a fire started while they were sleeping.
The Wonder Lake Fire Protection District responded around 2:15 a.m. Thursday to the 4600 block of West Lake Shore Drive in Wonder Lake for a report of a structure fire.
Firefighters arrived to find smoke pushing from the eaves of a single-family residence, according to Wonder Lake Fire Chief Mike Weber.
Two adults and two children were sleeping inside the home at the time.
The father woke up and smelled the fire and woke up the rest of the family, Weber said. The home did not have working smoke detectors.
The homeowner reported that the attic was on fire and crews made entry to the front door.
They assisted an adult male out of the home as he was still inside trying to locate the fire, Weber said.
Firefighters located the fire in the chimney chase between the first floor and the attic. The fire extended to the attic.
Weber said fire crews made access to the walls to extinguish the fire and then went into the attic to fully extinguish the remaining fire.
Firefighters remained on the scene for an hour and a half. Damage was estimated at $40,000 and the home was deemed uninhabitable, Weber said.
No injuries were reported by any firefighters or residents. The fire is not suspicious in nature.
The Woodstock, McHenry, Hebron, Richmond and Spring Grove fire departments assisted. The McHenry County Sheriff’s Office performed traffic control.