Jeremy L. Mitchell, 33, of Waukegan.

A man who took a plea deal in a case where he was charged with sexually assaulting a child in a Waukegan funeral home has been sentenced to four years in prison but with credit for time served has already been released.

Jeremy L. Mitchell, 33, who is homeless from Waukegan, was charged in October 2021 with criminal sexual assault, attempted criminal sexual assault, aggravated battery, unlawful restraint and criminal sexual abuse.

A criminal complaint filed in Lake County Circuit Court said that Mitchell trespassed at The Memorial Chapel of Waukegan, 1521 Washington Street in Waukegan, on October 28, 2021.

Mitchell grabbed a child and unlawfully restrained her by locking the door to a room at the business, according to a grand jury indictment.

Mitchell sexually assaulted the child through the use of force or threat of force, the indictment said.

[Suggested Article]  1 year in prison for man found with gun after flashing gang signs during Mexican Independence parade in Waukegan

Waukegan police officers arrested Mitchell the same day and later transported him to the Lake County Jail.

Mitchell, who was ordered held on a $200,000 bond after his arrest, was deemed incompetent to stand trial in late December 2021.

A judge ordered Mitchell held without bond and issued an order for him to be transported to the custody of the Illinois Department of Human Services (IDHS).

The IDHS determined the placement and treatment for Mitchell.

A grand jury indicted Mitchell on an additional charge of child abduction at the end of January 2021, court records show.

It was determined that Mitchell remained unfit to stand trial at least twice since the December 2021 order.

The court found that Mitchell was fit to stand trial during a fitness hearing in August 2022.

Court records show Mitchell entered into a negotiated plea deal with the Lake County State’s Attorney’s Office last month.

[Suggested Article]  'Tragic incident': Young child found unresponsive after possible accidental hanging in Waukegan

He pleaded guilty but mentally ill to one count of attempted criminal sexual assault by force, a Class 2 felony, in exchange for his other charges being dismissed.

Mitchell was sentenced to 51 months in the Illinois Department of Corrections (IDOC) and received credit for 748 days in custody pending trial.

He was transported to Stateville Correctional Center on December 1 and released two weeks later on December 15 after his sentence was considered served.

After being released, Mitchell appears to have failed to register as a sex offender, according to the Illinois State Police.

The IDOC has listed him as an “absconder,” which means Mitchell is considered a fugitive and a parole violation warrant has likely been issued for him.