15 residents, some of whom had to be rescued, were displaced and several pets died after a fire damaged a century-old residential building near Antioch Wednesday.
The Antioch Fire Protection District responded around 3:08 p.m. Wednesday to the 24200 block of North Avenue in unincorporated Antioch for a report of a structure fire.
Antioch Fire Chief Jon Cokefair said fire crews arrived to find heavy smoke from the second floor of a rear apartment.
The building is a four-unit residence and firefighters encountered heavy flames on the second floor.
Firefighters began extinguishing the fire and also rescued several occupants, Cokefair said.
The occupants needed assistance off of a balcony as they were in the process of rescuing pets.
Cokefair said the fire occurred in an area that does not have fire hydrants and crews had to haul water to the scene from Antioch incorporated.
The Mutual Aid Box Alarm System (MABAS) was activated to the second alarm level, bringing fire departments from throughout Lake County, McHenry County and Wisconsin to the scene.
One resident was injured and being evaluated by paramedics. No firefighters were injured.
15 occupants and 12-15 pets were displaced, Cokefair said. Several pets died in the fire.
According to the Lakes Region Historical Society, the building is known as the William Musch home.
The large building, located on the northwest corner of North Avenue and Trevor Road, was built by Musch, who was a German immigrant born in 1877.
He ran a successful business and moved to Antioch in 1918 where he acquired a large tract of land and built the home for his family, the Lakes Region Historical Society said.
The property was later purchased and turned into a combined school and residence.
The American Red Cross was requested to assist the displaced residents. All four of the apartment units are uninhabitable until repairs can be made.