Police officers and firefighters responding to a fire alarm early Sunday morning at the former Regal Cinema, 550 East Rollins Road in Round Lake Beach, discovered the building was broken into and extensively damaged. | Photo: Woo-Sung Shim / Lake and McHenry County Scanner

Police officers and firefighters responding to a fire alarm at the former Regal Cinema in Round Lake Beach early Sunday morning discovered the building was broken into and extensively damaged.

The Greater Round Lake Fire Protection District responded at 2 a.m. Sunday to 550 East Rollins Road in Round Lake Beach for a fire alarm.

The vacant building is the former Regal Cinema, which closed in February 2023.

Police officers and firefighters responding to a fire alarm early Sunday morning at the former Regal Cinema, 550 East Rollins Road in Round Lake Beach, discovered the building was broken into and extensively damaged. | Photo: Woo-Sung Shim / Lake and McHenry County Scanner

Firefighters arrived, reported no smoke or fire conditions showing and began investigating, according to fire department radio traffic.

Firefighters discovered that water was flowing through the building’s fire sprinkler system.

The Round Lake Beach Police Department responded to assist the fire department and found an unsecured exterior door, Round Lake Beach Police Chief Wayne Wilde Jr. said.

Police officers and firefighters responding to a fire alarm early Sunday morning at the former Regal Cinema, 550 East Rollins Road in Round Lake Beach, discovered the building was broken into and extensively damaged. | Photo: Woo-Sung Shim / Lake and McHenry County Scanner

Officers searched the building and found “extensive damage” throughout the inside, including damage to the fire sprinkler system which caused the fire alarm, Wilde said.

[Suggested Article]  Students, staff at Crystal Lake middle school shave heads while raising over $17K for childhood cancer research

Firefighters remained outside the building until police completed their search at 3:08 a.m. and verified no one was inside.

There was no evidence of a fire inside the building, Wilde added.

Police officials called the incident a break-in and it remains under investigation.