A fire caused damage to the inside of Austin’s Saloon and Eatery, 481 Peterson Road in Libertyville, during Easter brunch on Sunday afternoon. | Photo: Woo-Sung Shim / Lake and McHenry County Scanner

Austin’s Saloon and Eatery in Libertyville announced they will reopen Wednesday after a fire erupted inside the crowded restaurant during Easter brunch, leaving four injured.

The Libertyville Fire Department responded around 1 p.m. Sunday to Austin’s Saloon and Eatery, 481 Peterson Road in Libertyville, for a report of a structure fire.

Firefighters arrived to find smoke coming from the occupied restaurant, according to Libertyville Deputy Fire Chief Steven Holtz.

Holtz said the fire was reported to be in the bar area and the restaurant was in the process of being evacuated.

The Impact Fuel Room, which is located in the same building, was also evacuated. Over 100 people were evacuated in total.

A fire caused damage to the inside of Austin’s Saloon and Eatery, 481 Peterson Road in Libertyville, during Easter brunch on Sunday afternoon. | Photo: Shyann Pennington

The Mutual Aid Box Alarm System (MABAS) was activated to the box alarm level for additional fire department assistance.

Firefighters found that the sprinkler system had extinguished the fire but heavy smoke conditions remained throughout the building.

Fire crews worked to ventilate the building of the smoke and checked for anyone who was injured, Holtz said.

[Suggested Article]  Firefighters assist resident in evacuating after fire breaks out in 24-unit condo building in Crystal Lake

Three people were found to have minor smoke inhalation and were treated on scene.

A fourth person suffered non-life-threatening injuries and was transported to Advocate Condell Medical Center in Libertyville for further treatment.

A fire caused damage to the inside of Austin’s Saloon and Eatery, 481 Peterson Road in Libertyville, during Easter brunch on Sunday afternoon. | Photo: Woo-Sung Shim / Lake and McHenry County Scanner

Austin’s said in a statement Sunday evening that their “most sincere apologies” go out to families who were affected by the unexpected event.

“We feel a tremendous amount of sorrow that your holiday was ruined & we also feel an even bigger amount of gratitude that everyone got out of the building safely. We’re proud to have a community that helps others while they’re seeking help for themselves,” the statement said.

The restaurant said they are proud of their staff for remaining calm, reacting quickly and being helpful in guiding guests to safety.

“Thank you to the first responders in Libertyville & surrounding areas for coming so quickly & controlling the spread of the fire. We are going to move quickly to get our doors back open to see you all again in the very near future,” the statement said.

[Suggested Article]  Retirement ceremony held for Lake County Sheriff's Canine Dax as officials credit him for saving lives, tracking down suspects

“And thank you to our community for checking in on us, offering help, support & prayers. Again, we are so very sorry that this accident happened today,” the statement added.

A fire caused damage to the inside of Austin’s Saloon and Eatery, 481 Peterson Road in Libertyville, during Easter brunch on Sunday afternoon. | Photo: Woo-Sung Shim / Lake and McHenry County Scanner

Kara Lambert told Lake and McHenry County Scanner she was at the restaurant for Easter brunch when the fire occurred.

Lambert said her family had just sat down for their reservation and were seated on the patio when she saw a “wall of flames” across from them.

“I screamed to my mom and my husband [to] get the kids and go. My mom is on a walker and my seven-year-old son walked her out,” Lambert said.

“Everyone evacuated together amazingly and cared about each other immensely,” she added.

Kristen Derosier, who was also eating at the restaurant at the time of the fire, said she was on the top level when her group heard a “whoosh” sound.

[Suggested Article]  Heavy traffic delays reported after car becomes engulfed in flames on Interstate 94 near Libertyville
A fire caused damage to the inside of Austin’s Saloon and Eatery, 481 Peterson Road in Libertyville, during Easter brunch on Sunday afternoon. | Photo: Woo-Sung Shim / Lake and McHenry County Scanner

People began screaming and the fire alarm went off. Derosier said she was able to evacuate quickly but called the situation “unexpected” and “scary.”

Derosier said she believes the omelet station is where the fire occurred.

Fire, smoke and water damage were reported inside the restaurant, Holtz said.

Firefighters from Countryside, Lincolnshire, Mundelein, Zion, Lake Forest, Newport, Round Lake, Lake Villa, Lake Zurich, Long Grove, Buffalo Grove, Lake Bluff and Grayslake assisted at the scene or covered Libertyville fire stations.

Austin’s announced Tuesday afternoon that they would reopen their restaurant with normal hours starting Wednesday.

“We want to extend a sincere thank you to the first responders who worked tirelessly to protect patrons and minimize damage. Their quick response has helped us tremendously in getting back to business. And of course, thank you to our customers for your patience, outreach, and understanding,” the business said.

The cause of the fire remains under investigation by the Libertyville Fire Department.