Firefighters extinguish a fire that damaged a fence, garbage can and garage in the 2800 block of Gabriel Avenue in Zion on the Fourth of July. | Provided Photo

Firefighters were kept busy responding to multiple firework-related emergency calls in Zion, including a man who was left seriously injured in a firework accident.

Zion Fire-Rescue Department Fire Chief Justin Stried said his department responded to multiple small fires resulting from firework debris on the Fourth of July.

One of the incidents involved a garage that caught fire in the 2800 block of Gabriel Avenue.

A garbage can caught fire, which spread to a fence and ultimately the garage, Stried said. The garage sustained considerable damage.

There was evidence of fireworks debris in the area of the fire. Investigators are still completing their full review and report.

Stried said the fire department also responded to a traumatic injury call.

An adult male was transported to Vista Medical Center East in Waukegan with serious injuries that resulted from a firework accident.

[Suggested Article]  Man found dead inside burning home in Fox Lake was found hanging, coroner says

Zion Police Department Lt. Derek Zaloudek said the incident happened around 9:40 p.m. in the 4100 block of Douglas Drive.

The victim, a 55-year-old man, suffered a penetrating lower left leg injury from fireworks.

A responding police officer applied a tourniquet while awaiting the arrival of an ambulance, Zaloudek said.

It is unclear if the man was handling the fireworks himself or if it came from someone else. The victim’s injuries were not life-threatening, Zaloudek said.

The fire department said they understand celebrating the Independence Day holiday but cautioned that it is important to do so safely and leave the fireworks to licensed professionals.